Benefits of using a FENSA registered company
FENSA is the industry standard for replacement window and door installers self-certifying
compliance with the building regulations.
Here is why you should look for the FENSA logo when having replacement windows and
doors fitted in your property:
Save time and costs:
- You do not have to register your window or door installation with the local authority
yourself. Not only is the FENSA approach much faster and easier – it will also save
you hundreds of pounds!
- Compliance with the Building Regulations without the added cost and time of arranging
assessment by Building Control
- If you own properties across different local authorities – for consistency of quality
and price, you are able to use the same FENSA installer for all installations, as
they can work in all Local Authority jurisdictions
Confidence in FENSA installers:
- FENSA is the brand trusted by all local authorities, industry and government.
- An independent report commissioned by the Government found FENSA to be the most
successful of all competent person schemes to date in the UK, across all industries.
- Vetting: All FENSA registered companies are continually re-assessed by an independent
inspection body to ensure consistency of Building Regulations adherence and service.
- Nearly 9000 companies nationwide have joined FENSA which include glazing companies,
builders, national and smaller home improvements companies, local authorities, housing
associations, property developers. If all these companies trust and use FENSA, consumers
can too. If all these companies trust FENSA, homeowners can too.
- FENSA proactively protects consumers from the cowboys – not only by withholding
the scheme from those unable to pass FENSA’s independent assessments; but also by
reporting to Local Authorities and Trading Standards companies who erroneously claim
FENSA registration, to enable prosecution.
- Customers are able to provide a rating score for installers on the feedback form.
Insurance for "notifiable work" which fall
under FENSA's remit
For all replacement window and door installations that are notifiable to FENSA click here to find
out which types of installations fall under FENSA's remit), FENSA Registered Businesses
are required to have in place for their customers the categories of insurance stated
below. It is a government requirement that companies must have certain insurance
policies in place where applicable.
Deposit Protection: If FENSA Registered Businesses take deposits in advance of installations,
they must give some form of deposit indemnity. Deposits may be guaranteed by, for
example, trade association Deposit Indemnity schemes, or credit card protection.
Guarantee or Warranty: FENSA Registered Businesses must give a guarantee
or warranty covering the cost of completing rectification work in respect of defects
for a period of ten years.
Deposit Protection can be provided by a range of insurance providers. FENSA provides
an 'approved' list of already vetted insurers that FENSA Registered Businesses must
FENSA Building Regulations Certificate:
- This will be sent by FENSA directly to you to demonstrate compliance, important
in the event you need to sell your house.
- If you have lost your FENSA certificate, it is quick and simple to re-order online
by clicking here
How are FENSA Registered Businesses vetted and inspected?
FENSA Registered Businesses are vetted at the start of their registration which
includes checking the following:
- Pre-approval inspection
- Part of the pre-approval checks includes checking the company’s surveyor and installer
- Financial checks
- Employer's Liability for at least £10M
- Public Liability for at least £2M
- Consumer Contract Documents with Terms & Conditions
- Any guarantees and warranties must be clearly written
To ensure Building Regulations and thermal performance standards are consistently
maintained, the installation work of every FENSA Registered Business is continually
Click here for FAQs on using a
FENSA Registered Business.