The insurance market has been hardening over the last 24 months – which means the demand for cover is not matched by supply. Help and support is available for FENSA Approved Installers seeking to secure efficient, cost-effective cover.
Why are premiums rising?
There are many factors contributing to premiums rising, such as the Grenfell Tower disaster and the collapse of construction giant Carillion. The subsequent increase in claims from these events has left fewer insurers willing to be involved in markets, such as professional indemnity (PI), creating a lack of supply.
The coronavirus pandemic has further accelerated the trend, with insurers clearly worried about the long-term impact of COVID-19 on public health. This is a consideration that has never featured in the pricing of employers’ and public liability risks historically.
Any firms buying products such as PI and liability cover on the open market will feel the impact of these events. Many face significant rate increases when the time comes to renew cover – particularly those renewing with recent claims.
Despite these challenges, to simply reduce or even pause cover would be false economy. PI and employers liability (EL) is required for all FENSA Approved Installers and maintaining adequate PI cover is strongly advised for any firm whose services to clients include any element of advice or design. Insufficient cover could leave your firm financially exposed if the worst should happen.
How to get the best deal to protect your business
Here’s what you need to do to navigate the current climate and help increase your chances of getting the best offer of insurance:
- Find insurers that have full knowledge of the overall risk profile of your business and sector
- Seek insurers that offer a range of payment options and identify where you may be able to get preferential pricing
- Identify if there are any specialist insurers or brokers that may already represent firms in your sector – strength in numbers can really help
- Make sure you allow plenty of time to get the best deal. We recommend starting the process three months in advance of your renewal date so that you don’t end up having to accept an expensive option because you ran out of time
- Take advantage of insurance health checks, which could help identify gaps in your cover, potential savings and ensure your business is fully protected
- Make sure you highlight your accreditations and proof of competencies – this could help reassure insurers you are a risk worth underwriting.
We've teamed up with award-winning UK insurance broker Marsh Commercial to launch FENSA Business Insurance Services, offering a specialised insurance solution for FENSA Approved Installers.
To discuss your business insurance requirements and to take advantage of our free health check service, complete this form or get in touch on 01905 892 381 or email FENSA@marshcommercial.com.